As one of the most well-known Thai desserts, sweet sticky rice is truly irreplaceable, especially served with coconut sauce and fresh mango slices. Here’s a recipe for you to recreate at home…
- 1 cup of sticky/glutinous rice
- 1 cup of fresh coconut milk (if unavailable, replace with 1 can of coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of brown or caster sugar
- 1 large ripe mango, sliced thinly
How to Make:
- Soak the rice in a bowl overnight. Drain and put the rice on a steamer basket. Cook over boiling water for 15-25 minutes, until the rice is tender and translucent.
- Place the coconut milk in a pot. Cook over medium heat until hot, and be careful not to boil it. Add sugar and salt, and stir until completely dissolved.
- Put the cooked rice in a bowl, and add in half of the hot coconut milk. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to let the flavours soak in.
- Serve the rice with mango slices and the remaining the coconut milk.
- Replace the white glutinous rice for the black variety for a more colourful presentation. Steam the rice for 10 minutes longer.